Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Geminid Fun

Got up at 3:30 am to watch the Geminids at their peak and I must say it was worth getting out of bed in the middle of the night.

Got up dressed in the dark, got downstairs and turned on a light to make coffee. Eugene got up a few minutes later and stumbled down the stairs. We got coats on and went out to see what we could see. After turning on lights it was not much for a couple of minutes. But soon enough our eyes adjusted and we started seeing shooters. I'd say the rate between 4 and 5:15am was around 100 an hour. We lost count at 25 and I'd say we ended up between the two of us seeing at least 100.

They were not the fireballs I had hope to see but did see a couple of dim twin shooters (both times coming out of Gemini, funny how that works). It was certainly no meteor storm (we got one of those about 4 years ago and it was amazing) but it was a great meteor shower.

Now I feel like I haven't had any sleep. Looks like there will be napping to be done this afternoon, if not before. I don't think there is enough coffee in the world to prevent a nap today

No comments: