Total Pageviews

Monday, May 12, 2008

Going to the Zoo!

Yesterday was my 45th birthday. I officially middle aged as my sister Maggie gleefully reminded me. She says now we are in the same age bracket for the first time ever (we are 13 year apart in age so from the beginning we have always been in different age groups. But now we are both in the middle age category).

Since it was Mothers day and the weather was wet (we got 1.1" in under an hour yesterday morning which caused minor and expected flooding around the farm) I did not do much for my birthday other than make a very nice dinner that would have been even better if one could get a decent steak at Kroger's. What we got must have been a real winner as my late father would say. it was tough despite being cooked correctly. This is what I get for trying to save a bit of money on meat and buying factory farmed/feedlot beef (actually this was not a money thing, it was a last minute thought-lets have steak for dinner and go buy it just before we want to eat. This really limits what you can get). Low quality at minor savings. Next time I will plan ahead and buy the locally raised pastured fed steak.

Today is the real celebration. We are renting a car and driving to Cincinnati to go to the zoo. A couple of months ago Eugene asked what I wanted to do for my birthday and I said go to the zoo and so we are. We have not had a day out in a long time. This should be fun. I will bet the zoo will be nearly deserted as it is a Monday, it is the day after a sentimental holiday and it will be cool and rainy. I love it when big public areas have low attendance so this should be extra fun.

We discovered our old van is such a gas guzzler that it is cheaper to rent a small car to drive down to Cincy. So we have reserved a car from Enterprise as they are by far the cheapest rental car company around here (we have rented several cars from them in the past 6 months to go to Michigan while my dad was dying).

So that is our day. Tomorrow we do a farmers market in Oxford which will be fun.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Happy Belated B'day! I hope you had fun at the zoo!!