Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 10, 2008

What to Do with All Those Raspberries

When life gives you raspberries it is one's responsibility to do something with those raspberries and this is what I have been doing with the bounty.

The overwhelming majority has been sold. I know we have sold around 200 1/2 pints (that's 12.5 gallons if my math is correct).

I have made raspberry jam with commercial pectin. So far I have done two batches which has yielded 20 pints. 3/4 I am selling and the rest I am keeping for winter use

I have frozen 5 pints and will freeze more today and tomorrow. I put the berries on cookie sheets and than into the freezer and when frozen completely put in marked bags. if you put them into bags unfrozen and than freeze you get a mess-the berries will turn into a block and are not very usable. I will likely sell most of these this winter when we need product and it is easy to sell frozen items outside at the winter market.

Raspberry Pancakes

Put a 1/2 pint of raspberries into your favorite recipe, my favorite is:
2 cup flour (I like to do a 50/50 mix of white to whole wheat
2 cups milk (you can use soy milk or you can use a mix of milk/soy milk and fruit juice, or yogurt or butter milk)
1tbl sugar
2 eggs
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tbl melted butter (or vegetable oil)
1/2tsp salt
1/2 pint raspberries

Mix the flour baking soda and powder, salt, sugar together. Add the milk and eggs one at a time and than the butter. Mix batter a bit (it should be a bit lumpy) than add the raspberries and mix again. pour onto a pan over medium to medium high heat and cook until full of bubbles, flip and finish. I like to make extra pancakes, cool them on a cooling rack and freeze for future use. just reheat in a warm oven or microwave

Raspberry Walnut Brownies

I made these last night because I was making brownies for company and had raspberries so I said, what the hell, toss 'em in. They were excellent. I use the recipe on the baker's Chocolate box but I think any would work

Use your favorite browning mix and in a separate bowl mix together 1/2 pint of berries and 1/2 cup white flour. Coat the berries in the flour and than carefully fold in the coated berries into the brownie batter. Coating is important. Cook about 5 minutes longer than normal and you have some incredible gourmet brownies

Well, those are some of the things I have been doing with the raspberries

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

All these sound so good!