Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 22, 2008

CSA: Week Two

I have just finished packing up the second installment of the Boulder Belt Eco-Farm Winter CSA shares.

It was a cold experience, let me tell you. All the food is in the store and we have yet to turn on the heater in there because we are cheap (and green). So it is no more than 35F in that building. It is definitely above freezing because nothing outside of the fridges has frozen yet, but it's still damn cold. It took a good 15 minutes for my hands to thaw out. Yow!

The shares this week contained:
1 6 oz bag of spring mix
1 pound of rutabagas
a pound of carrots
1 charantais melon
2 pints of strawberries from the hoop house
2 green peppers
1 pound of mixed chard (wasn't planning on including this but the weather dictated that it should all be brought in. Now we have about 20 pounds of chard.)
6 or so pears
5 leeks (we have a lot of leeks)
3 tomatoes
A bag of Italian Parsley and 2 other kinds of fresh herbs (Dill, Cilantro, Thyme or sage)

Not a bad haul for the middle of a cold November.

1 comment:

valereee said...

Wow, that is a GREAT haul. Strawberries and pears and melon? Green peppers? I'm in a winter CSA, and this week I got squash, squash, sweet potatoes, cilantro, arugula, squash, radishes, head lettuce, turnips, and squash. :D Not complaining! I love squash! But wow, would it be nice to get FRUIT! I wish I lived near Eaton!