Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Jeffery Smith Interviewed in Acres USA

I have a subscription to acres USA and in this month's issue is a chilling interview with Jeffery Smith, author of Seeds of Destruction. A book that takes on the lies of the biotech industry

Here I present to you in a format that allows you to read this interview in your web browser of this interview

After reading this I have decided I can no longer eat from the industrial food stream. I am lucky in that 85% to 90% of my diet is already local and organic (i.e. GMO free) so cutting out the monthly fast food trips won't be that hard to do (though eating at unenlightened friends' homes is another issue). Also I have long been a label reader and have been aware how pervasive GMO's are in the conventional industrial food stream.

But what can you do? Start by buying more of your food from local sources. Find a farmers market or if you want to do more, join a CSA. I happen to know of one near Eaton, OH that is taking members right now-Boulder Belt Farm Share Initiative-that serves members in Dayton, Oxford, Fairfield/West Chester/Northern Cincy.

Read labels and if it has corn, coy, cotton seed or canola assume it has GMO ingredients. And learn what words mean such things are in the food. For example, lecithin means there is soy, vitamin C means corn, etc., etc.. Oh and if there are partially hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup (and Soda pop has both) do not eat it-this is poison they are serving us

Finally, don't be the victim-take back the responsibility from the corporations over what you put in your body. For too long we have allowed them to call the shots and they have returned the favor by serving us poisons that make us sick (but hey, that means big bucks for the drug industry), obese (big bucks for the weight loss industry) and now we are seeing that GMO's may well cause our kids to be sterile. So now is the time to stand up and just say no to GMO's

3 comments:

Carol said...

Great post once again! Well done. I would only add to flood congress with calls.

Anonymous said...

Would you like fries with your ammonia?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html

This should make giving up fast food sound even better.

>>>The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil. The trimmings were particularly susceptible to contamination, but a study commissioned by the company showed that the ammonia process would kill E. coli as well as salmonella.

My Edible Yard said...

Okay - You've scared me to death. Don't you know of the 2 things left in my life that I'm addicted to, 1 of them is sodas. I have definitely cut down but I've not yet given them up.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about only using non-GMO products. I have no problem not going to fast-food places - I haven't done that in forever. Convincing my husband on the other hand that he can't have Arby's or Taco Bell for lunch, now that's a different story. We might end up divorced.

Great article.