Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 12, 2006

WTF? Cook's Illustrated Recycles Old Articles Now?

My father got me a subscription to Cook's Illustrated, a nice magazine full of recipes, hints, equipment and food recomendations and no ads. It is a well done periodical that I used to have a subscription to about 3 years ago. I think I subscribed for about 7 years and I have not thrown away any issues because they are full of recipes I may use some time in life.

Okay. So my dad gets me a subscription for christmas and I get the first issue this week. At first I did not notice anything awry with the magazine until I got out several old issues to find a couple of recipes for dinner last night (ended up using a recipe for chocolate pudding cake YUM!)and noticed one of the old issues not only had the same cover but also the exact same review about bittersweet chocolate.

WTF!??

So the next thing I do is get out more old copies of Cook's and find a Creme Brulee recipe in one of the old issues that is in this current issue (but with different titles). I did not get into my main stash of Cook's Illustrated to see if all the articles and reviews in this newest issue are from the past but it would not surprise me at all.

I also noticed that this new issue did not have any date on the cover nor the inside page so maybe this is a "best of" promo issue. though why would I be getting a promo issue when I have a paid subscription.

I guess it is time to contact Cook's Illustrated and find out what is going on. I really don't need the magazine at all, if all it is doing now is recycling from old issues which I already possess

3 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

That's really odd. Have you checked out the recipes on the website for their TV show? Lots of yummy ones and all free the last time I checked (several months ago). I just linked here from the nice comment you left on my blog, Farmgirl Fare. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. : )

Lucy said...

It is Odd that they would do this and still do not know why. No I have not checked out their website in a few years. It used top cost $20 a year to access which I thought was a bit much especially if one was already paying for a subscription. Glad to hear thy quit being so durned greedy.

I like their PBS TV show

Farmgirl Susan said...

Hi again,
Here's the website for the Test Kitchen TV show:
http://americastestkitchen.com/

I think it's different than the one for the magazine--and I think you do still have to "subscribe" to log on to the online magazine site--or at least to special parts of it.

All I know is last time I went to the test kitchen site my printer was spewing out recipes for a LONG time. : )