Total Pageviews

Monday, March 06, 2006

Taxes

It's tax time at Boulder Belt Farm and that means Eugene is in a bad mood for the rest of the day trying to figure out what we owe the gummint. I would help him more but I tend to glaze out when reading an IRS Tax form. I have been helpful in going to IRS.gov and looking up and down loading forms and instructions. I have even tried reading instructions and I was able to decipher the form 8093 instructions (I think, you never really know, though).

Okay Eugene just came in asked me to call up the 8093 instructions again and it turns out I had not deciphered the damned thing and it looks like after doing a couple of hours of work figuring out the form that we cannot take a deduction anyhow.

Welcome to the wonderful world of farm taxes (aka Schedule F, with numerous attachments such as form 8903 and form 4562). The good thing is you can deduct almost anything as a part of your farm business. The bad thing is there is no 1040EZ form to do this. Perhaps if we used a program like Quicken or some other tax application things would go more quickly but I have far too many hard drives go south on me so I do not keep financial or farm records on the computer. These are things far too valuable to risk on a mere machine. Plus I enjoy the act or manually writing down things, of having a pen in my hands and putting thoughts or images down on paper.

Soon enough the figuring will be done and than we will wait until the last minute to write the check and put it in the mail, no sense letting the government use our money any sooner than necessary. especially if they are going to use it for the betterment of the super-rich and an illegal war.

No comments: