Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Farm Diversity

Eugene has just come in from looking at things in the market garden and informs that the green beans are up and the zucchini is beginning to flower, Huzzah!

We should have fresh basil in a week or so as well and soon the peas will be blooming and the garlic will be scaping (like any second) and finally we will increase our diversity of food to harvest and eat/sell. It won't be soon enough for me.

Don't get me wrong I love salad greens but when that is basically all you are harvesting it gets a bit boring (wow did I just call beautiful and tasty heirloom lettuces and spring mix boring!? Yes, I guess that is what happens when you have had salad pretty much 2 times a day for the past 2.5 months)

Cracoviensis Lettuce

Granted, for the farmers Market in Oxford this past Saturday I did harvest green red onions and pac choy along with a lot of lettuce- 6 kinds; Cracoviensis, Lollo Rossa, Marvel of Four Seasons, Butter Crunch, Simpson Elite and Antares bronze Oakleaf-and spring mix

Antares Bronze Oakleaf

We opened the store this past Thursday, May 17th. So far business has been slow but we have done some business which did not occur for several weeks after opening last year. What a difference a year makes. I almost missed the first two customers because we were out planting the last 1000 onions of the year and that had us about 800' from the store and behind a small rise. We noticed people milling around the store as we walked towards the buildings. I guess when the store is open the both of us cannot be so far away if we want to make sales. This will take a small amount of adjustment which will be made easier the more customer traffic we get.

At any rate, we got there before they left or even got upset. Sold some lettuce, chard seed, Lakota squash seeds and radishes (we have about as many radishes as we do lettuce) Shame I am not a great radish fan, I like them in salads and I have created a nice radish slaw recipe that uses pounds of them (this will be used, probably in the next 10 days or so) But I do not often eat them raw with salt and/or beer. I am glad we seem to have a lot of cusomers who are radish fans and especially like the d'Avignon french radishes we grow.



No comments: