Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 10, 2008

127 yard Sale; Day 3

I believe this was the slowest day of the sale, so far traffic-wise but the best day we have ever out here on the farm had produce sales-wise. We have had tomatoes, sweet corn through out the sale and the cantaloupe and water melons were harvestable Friday evening so we had those too. Along with zucchini, onions, eggplant, arugula, kale, carrots, green onions, garlic, etc., etc..

Jules and Pete said they did well too. Pete left about 30 minutes early because he sold out of meat and since he is not doing the sale Sunday packed up his tent, smoker, tables, the rabbit cage he bought from me and other BBQ paraphernalia and went home with his boy, Christopher.

Robert, the guy from which I buy honey, came by to see what we had and I order a couple of cases of honey that should be here Sunday. He told me his wife is dying of cancer and he has 3 girls all under the age of 5 to raise and that he needs to get serious about farming for profit. I have known this guy for about 2 years. I don't know him all that well-we see one another maybe 4 or 5 times a year and chat for an hour or so on those occasions but I know he does not live a conventional lifestyle by any means and seems to have a hard time with capitalism in any form (i.e he does not seem at all comfortable with selling things for a decent profit. He sells his honey, for example for less than anyone else around here even though he is the only bee keeper in the area that does not use pesticides and drugs in his hive. In other words, the guy has organic honey which no one else has. He should be selling it for much more than the other bee keepers and yet he feels he cannot). He said he would probably move out of the are so he does not compete with us. I told him there is more than enough business for all the small sustainable growers around here. That we need more farmers, in fact. I would hate to see him leave as I really like his hone and him as well.

The yard sale part of my day (you know where I sell non produce items that are taking up space in my life) was great. I sold a huge broken television to a guy for $5. It was priced at $25 with a note saying it has issues and he asked how little I would take for it and I said five bucks. He pulled out his wallet, paid me and said "I am an idiot for buying a broken set" I disagreed, as for the moment, he was my hero for taking the damned thing away.

Than the skinny guy with the rainbow colored mohawk and multiple tattoos came into the store carrying the muffler that came off the Dodge van that we had for sale grinning from ear to ear. He told me he had just bough a used van and someone stole his exhaust system for the catalytic converter. He could buy a new muffler for over $150 but decided to do the 127 YS to find a cheaper one. His incredibly normal looking girlfriend said she had told him the whole weekend he would not find a cheaper muffler for his van. he proved her wrong and after buying the $5 muffler he walked from the store to his vehicle holding up his trophy proudly for all to see.

Just goes to show, you can find anything you want at the 127 yard sale.

I was tickled to meet several people who came to the sale because they read about it right here on this blog. I hope you all had a good time at our sale and stopped at a few others. Leave a note and tell us all what you did.

All in all it was an excellent day

One more day to go...

No comments: